.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Christian Fiction Spring Scavenger Hunt Stop # 20

Welcome to the Christian Fiction Scavenger Hunt! If you’ve just discovered the hunt, be sure to start at Stop #1, and collect the clues through all 33 stops, in order, so you can enter to win one of our top 3 grand prizes!
  • The hunt BEGINS with Stop #1 at Lisa Bergren’s site.
  • The hunt is BEST VIEWED using Chrome or Firefox as your browser (not Explorer)
  • It is open to INTERNATIONAL entrants.
  • PRIZES include 3 sets of all 32 books, $500 in Amazon gift cards, and many authors are offering additional prizes!
  • There is NO RUSH to complete this hunt—you have ALL WEEKEND. So take your time, reading the unique posts along the way; our hope is that you discover new authors/new books you might want to learn more about!
  • Submit your ENTRY for the GRAND PRIZE at Stop #33 (back on Lisa’s site) by Monday night (4/25) at midnight mountain.
I’m so delighted to be hosting Mesu Andrews on the Scavenger Hunt! Welcome Mesu! Isn’t the cover of her new novel, Miriam, stunning?! And I love Mesu’s account of how she came to give Miriam a… Well, I’ll let Mesu tell the story herself…

Did Miriam Have a Dog?
I’m about to reveal how incredibly silly and twisted my brain is while researching for a biblical novel. Over a year ago, I was reading in Exodus about Passover night in Egypt.
“There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again. But among the Israelites not a dog will bark at any person or animal.’” Exodus 11:6-7
Any guess what my first thought was? There must have been dogs in Israel! Silly, aren’t I? 

Can’t help it. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool, furry-friend-lovin’ fool. Dogs are my kinda people, and at the time I was researching for Miriam, we were without one. Our precious Rotti-pitbull, Bouzer, had died of cancer almost a year earlier, and I’d been writing alone for too long. We hadn’t found the right companion for our home, but by-jiggers, I intended to give Miriam the best four-legged companion in Israel!

After much internet surfing, I discovered the perfect breed—the Canaan Dog. It was an ancient breed dating back to biblical times that Israelites used for both guarding and herding sheep. Drawings of dogs looking similar to the Canaan Dog were found in tombs that date back to 2200 BC, and Bedouins today still use dogs in their camps to guard and herd their flocks.

Words can’t describe the wonder I felt when I saw the first picture of a Canaan Dog on Google images. The picture above is the Google image of a Canaan Dog. The picture on the left is my friend’s dog, BearDog—a Karelian bear dog, which looks much like the Canaan Dog. Don't you think? BearDog is my best buddy when I stay in our friend’s mountain cabin for my writing retreats. Can you believe that our great big God gave me a Canaan Dog look-alike to enjoy while writing Miriam?


Mesu Andrews lives in the Pacific Northwest, where she writes in her worn-out recliner beside a cozy fire on rainy days. She and her husband, Roy, enjoy movies, football, waterfalls, and visiting their growing tribe of grandkids.

Here’s the Stop # 20 Skinny:
You can order Mesu’s book on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, CBD or at your local bookstore!
Clue to Write Down: SURFACE
Stop #21, the Next Stop on the Loop: Mesu Andrews’s own site!

*****

But wait! Before you go:
EXTRA GIVEAWAY: This is for members of Deborah Raney Readers Page, my Facebook group for readers. If you’re a member you’re already entered automatically! If you haven’t joined my group yet, what are you waiting for?! One winner, chosen at random from the members of Deborah Raney Readers Page, will win copies of the first three books in the series plus an Advance Reader Copy for Book 4! All you have to do to enter is be sure you’re a member of the group! I’ll announce the winner on April 27 (and so sorry, but only U.S. residents are eligible to win this one. This contest is in conjunction with the Spring Scavenger Hunt but is separately administered, so any questions about this extra giveaway should come to me personally.) As always, there’s MUCH more to be discovered at www.deborahraney.com